Monday, June 6, 2011

Why I Insisted on NOT being an Usborne Consultant...and What Changed My Mind

2010 had come in with a bang and I began to think about goals for the new year. Abby was completing the end of her last year of preschool and kindergarten was coming. With all 3 girls in school I began to wonder if I should find something to keep me occupied during the days ahead. So, I did what any reasonable job seeker would do and posted my ambitions on my facebook status! It read something like this:

"I am looking for a good mom-job, but I don't want to sell anything! Anyone know of good options?"

I was sure to put the blip about not selling because I knew as soon as it posted, every home business would be after me and that was NOT what I was looking for! So, I waited patiently for the job offers to come rolling in.

The first suggestion came...."have you ever thought about selling Usborne Books?" Ummm...pretty sure I just said I don't want to sell anything. Thanks, but no thanks. Next comes an email with information on joining the Usborne Books business. Ummm....did I not speak clearly? No sales! Finally, I call my sister to laugh about these suggestions. I expect a laugh in return, but instead I get a, "hey, my friend does this and she really loves it! You should at least talk to her!"

Ok God, I'm listening. I was fairly familiar with the Usborne product from attending a home party yeeaarrs ago. So, my research mode turned on. I began to learn all I could about this business that was apparently after me. It was in my research that I became intrigued. I loved the idea that not only could I do home parties, but that I had a vast array of marketing opportunities. I could do book fairs at schools, preschools, daycares....anywhere! I could offer schools free books through grant-matching programs and I could help encourage kids to read through read-a-thon fundraisers. I could even set up at vendor events. Basically, as long as I had a yellow pages, I had leads. I didn't have to depend on my friends and family. Plus, there was no pressure to make sales minimums. It was truly mine to do with as I chose. And the biggest plus...it was a cheap investment! For $49 I could get a kit and try it out. If I didn't like it, I still got to keep my kit and my girls could enjoy the books that came inside....which were worth way more that $49! I decided to call Jennifer's friend, Kelly, and and asked her 5 hours worth of questions...not really, but I'm sure I kept her on the phone longer than she bargained for! And the rest is history. I knew that this is what I wanted to do. I liked the idea of having a job that not only promoted the worthy cause of literacy and education, but also benefitted my own children. Usborne has allowed me to build a library for my girls while earning me extra income at the same time.

Though it is not a get-rich-quick business and can be challenging at times, it is what I do and I love it. It is fulfilling to see the eyes of children light up when they pass by as I am setting up for their book fair. It brings me joy to see a child turn in a reading log that surpasses the 300 reading minutes requirement at a read-a-thon. It makes me happy when moms stop by at a booth and share stories of how these books were their kids favorites growing up and reminds them of their younger years. It is thrilling to total up a school event and call to let the school know they have just earned hundreds, even thousands of dollars, in FREE books for their classrooms or library! Now THAT is fun!

There are SO many schools, preschools, and daycares in our area and across the nation. There is NO way I can service them all and would LOVE to have new consultants join my team so we can share this with them all! If this sounds like something that you or someone you know would like to do, please comment below or email me at jc4usborne@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment